Mb's Chicken Chili

     So, a friend of mine, Nicole, started a recipe blog. Fabulous idea, because not only do her recipes look oh-so-drool-worthy, but she's a fantastic writer. I enjoy visiting her blogs and getting caught up on her son, her own musings, and now her recipe blog.
    I'm not starting a recipe blog, because, honestly, although I love to cook and bake, I don't do it often enough to warrant documenting and celebrating. I'm just plain too tired in this season of my life! 
     Today, I think it was a mixture of Nicole's recipes popping up in my Facebook newsfeed, and the absolute boredom of the same ol' same ol' every night, that drove me to the point of a baking frenzy today. 
     It started with me getting a very wild hair and whipping up some delicious blue french toast.
     I love french toast, but it always feels like it takes forever to cook the whole batch. This may have been due to the fact that all we used to have was a small frying pan, and we were only able to cook 2 slices at a time. Now we have this lovely griddle, and it went by much faster. A whole loaf of blue bread later, my family was sufficiently stuffed and happy. =) 
     After breakfast was done, I took out my bread maker (it totally counts!) and made some delicious fresh bread for the family. 
     Next, I continued on my food frenzy and took out my crock pot. I've been craving chicken chili for months and months. I looked up some recipes online, but realized I was missing some key ingredients for pretty much every single one. So I did the next best thing. Improvised! I do not like measuring out spices and herbs and ingredients. I'm much more of a "flourish here" and a "peck there" kinda cook. 
     So I created my very own chicken chili. It's hot on a cold day. It's flavorful and oh so filling. And it's so easy! 


I present to you...


Mb's Chicken Chili

*4 frozen boneless chicken breasts, straight outta the bag
*1 bag of "Steam fresh" mixed veggies.
This was all we had in our freezer, feel free to use any variety, but make sure it has corn in it! It gives it that extra yummy crunch
* 2 cans of Great Northern beans

*Thyme

*Minced Onion

*Onion Powder

*1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, from a can or bouillon cubes

*
 Worcestershire Sauce
*Pepper



*We did not add chili peppers or chili powder because we wanted our kiddos to eat it with us, but feel free to add as much as you would like! I'm not sure how it will turn out with the thyme and onion powder, but it's always worth a shot!

For all of you who have to follow a recipe to a T that has teaspoons and cup measurements, you might wince and groan a little with this recipe. But I encourage you to lighten up, trust your instincts and have some fun with it!

Place frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. 
Dump veggies and beans on top of the chicken. Spread around. 
Next, take the thyme and sprinkle around and under veggies, beans and chicken. Give it a good coating.
Take onion powder and minced onion and shake around and under mixture until you feel it's a good amount. 
Splash a good amount of Worcestershire sauce into crock pot. 
Make 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and dump right in (more or less depending on how soupy you like your chili- This amount will give you a little broth while still giving it the feel that it is a chili.)
A dash of pepper and you are ready to mix it all up a bit, by hand (always the fun part), put the lid on, and set it on the 6hour timer! 
When it's done cooking, open it up and take a peek, reveling in the juicy aroma wafting up from inside. Then take a big serving spoon and break apart the soft falling apart chicken so that it's in strips and chunks. 
Now you are ready to eat! 



This recipe will fill your house with the most tantalizing and herby smell ever. I had to do my glucose test for an OB appointment today, which meant I had to fast 3 hours before drinking 10oz of super sugary juice, and I just so happened to schedule the appointment right after lunch...which meant...NO LUNCH. So not only was I super hungry from not being able to eat lunch, but I had to smell this delicious chili cooking all day! 

This super random concoction was a HUGE success. My husband actually gave me specific compliments ( ladies, you know what I'm talking about) and ate two huge bowls, which is saying something because it is so filling! So try this recipe out if you ever get a hankerin' for some white chicken chili! You will not be disappointed =) 

Comments

  1. That sure does look yummy! I might have to try it! I love chili, and soup, and crockpot... and... I hate measuring stuff if I don't have to either! So that looks like a win. :)

    I'm glad I could help inspire you!

    And how did you do the blue bread? Did you "paint" it with food coloring? Or add color to the eggs? Or bake it so it was blue? I'm intrigued!

    (Oh, and thanks for the compliments on my writing style. You make me blush! Partially, I started the recipe blog just so I could have ANOTHER writing outlet, seeing as how I don't always have interesting things to say on either of my other blogs... and in the next few days, I hope to have another blog or two on the recipe, and I hope to "invent" a hotdish or casserole sometime soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to measure spices either! It's more fun to just add what you want! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts