Kindness

     My Grandma Bonnie and I share quite a bit in common...I only know this from randomly learning things when I have visited with her, which hasn't been a whole lot in my life. She's my "real" dad's mama. The dad who isn't here anymore.
     We both love to collect mugs. We love to paint and be creative with color, not really caring what others think about it. She has her own business and I dream of one day opening my own. 
     She is so kind. Her heart is overflowing with nice words and cards on birthdays and stickers and underlinings that highlight her favorite quotes. She makes you feel special with smiles and laughs and little gifts that mean so much. I always find out that she shares these little quirks with me long after we have both been practicing them, unaware that the other does it too. It makes me feel good, to know I share so much with the woman who raised a man who couldn't be there to raise me. 
     Ever since I can remember I have loved sending mail. To put a fun little card in an envelope and seal it with a smile, embelishing it tastefully in a sticker or two. Not to receive anything in return, but to extend a personal word or two to someone who may not get something like that often. A Thank You card, a Birthday card, a Get Well card...I feel as if this practice has died with "e-cards," "Facebook," and "Email." It's so much easier to send a "Thank You" quickly in an email or write one on a wall. 
     But there is something so intimate, so personal about getting a handwritten card in the mail. A little gift that says, "I love you. I care about you enough that I took time out of my day to bless you and single you out as one who is special." I don't do it as often as I would like...
     One of my "resolutions" this year is to extend kindness to those I love. To really show the people in my life how much they mean to me,(as if this were really possible.) I dream of hand making little gifts and never forgetting a birthday. Planning months ahead of time for the perfect gift. But I also know this is near impossible. I know what those weeks are like following the birth of a precious new baby. They are a blur. They are full of yawns and catnaps and no coffee because it makes the baby cranky. 
     So how can I extend this kindness I have resolved to show throughout the year, to those who mean so much to me, who I fear don't really know or understand the depths of appreciation I hold for them? The answer flows with my other resolutions...de-stress, to manage my time efficiently, to fall in love with Jesus more (because isn't He Love, and who better to learn how to love than the very entity of Love Himself?) To realize I don't have to have the most expensive gift, or even have it be "on time," but just the act of giving is enough. To remember and help the other person realize, "I'm thought of. Someone cares." 
     I received a present in the mail from a friend the other day, and even though I knew I was getting a present, I didn't know what it was or when it would arrive. Can I just tell you how incredibly blessed I was? That this friend even cared enough to think of me, let alone spend time and money on me? So blessed. So very blessed.
     I want to be that for people. I want to take those few extra dollars that I desire to spend on myself, and bless someone in my life who I care about, and who may not realize it. I don't want to hoard all the Lord has given to me, as if I held on tightly to it, it would remain mine anyway. We have been given to give, and while my budget may be inchworm long, my heart overflows with the excitement to give. 
    So I resolve to show those nearest and dearest to me this year that they matter, that I care for them. In simple ways. In well thought out ways. In loving ways. Because, they'll know we follow Jesus by our LOVE. 


By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:35 New King James Version (NKJV)


What are you doing to show those special people in your life love, kindness? How long has it been since your grandma or aunt or friend received a note from you, just because you miss them? 




"For the mountains shall depart 
      And the hills be removed, 
      But My kindness shall not depart from you, 
      Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,” 
      Says the LORD, who has mercy on you." 
Isaiah 54:10

Comments

  1. I like you I wish I would send more letters and or receive them as well.... I'm always like oh yeah i'll send one to them later, and well we all know later never comes.... Its a great goal to have this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, later never comes for me unless I stop what I'm doing and write it, stamp it, and send it all in one moment! But it's so worth it!

      Delete
  2. I received a little card in the mail today... I think you know who it's from, and why. :) It made my heart smile. I waited to open it until after I had Spencer in bed, just so I could be present with it when I did.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) This made me happy to read!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts