Earth's oldest song

Written on the hearts of every human being is earth's oldest song. Sung to the heart-wrenching notes of wailing, screaming, and infinite tears, it is heard in every tongue, every nation, every soul. It is as familiar to some as the painting you pass by in your house every single day, seeing... but not really seeing. 

Grief. 

It knows no boundaries, no social norms, no race. It is ruthless in it's quest for destruction, healing, pain. 

Every single date on the calendar...9/11, 11/17, 1/24...every day, someone is mourning the loss of familiarity, love, joy, life. A tear shed today, a tear shed tomorrow. 

Time does not bring relief. They say it does. They say time heals all wounds. It does not. Time makes other people forget. Time may fade the memory of the lost one's every detail...the freckle above their left knee, the look they had on their face when they concentrated. But whether it's been 11 years or 1, time does not heal. 

I have suffered at the hands of cruel men. I have contemplated ending life. I have lost someone. And I have lost again. I have given my heart to those who have stomped it into the ground. I have been cruel and relentless. I have lied and stolen and I have gossiped. And time healed nothing. 

But He heals. He binds up the shards of our broken spirits, and whispers drops of healing into the places of our hearts we don't even want to journey to. He takes the ugliness of grief, the beauty of grief, and creates a purpose in it. He calls Himself Love. And I believe it. For I have witnessed first hand the supernatural power of God's breathtaking compassion, His power, His decision to give His own life, so we may live. 

Whether you lost a loved one and felt as if your very existence were being torn from you, or you lost your innocence, morality, freedom, or joy, for these can be just as devastating to lose....let the One who created you, formed you, loves you, let Him give you the healing that time does not grant. 


"He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds."
Psalm 147:3

"This is love: not that we loved God, 
but that he loved us 
and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
1 John 4:10


To everyone who has grieved...especially those precious souls who lost someone 11 years today...

What were you doing 11 years ago today? 

Comments

  1. I was in 6th grade, in science class. I only remember that class because of 9/11. I am grateful for Jesus' healing and grace in your heart and life because it brings me to love Him more everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love <3 Crazy how we remember exactly where we were. I was in band class, in 8th grade. Such a vivid memory. Love you

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts