They are watching

My darling, they are watching us. 

Those big, blue, sweet, and innocent eyes, so full of trust, so full of love. They can see straight to the heart of us. We have such a big responsibility. We were given 3 beautiful souls, to nurture, to teach, to grow. And to model for them what Jesus-love is. 

They watch as we make conversation with the crazy-haired homeless guy outside McDonald's. They watch as we smile at him, include him, honor him with our love. They watch as we bring friends into our home. Give them what little we have, because it brings us so much joy to give. They watch us love our friends even when it hurts.

And they watch us model love between a man and a wife. They watch, waiting, storing up wisdom and advice, hiding away images and how-to's for the day when they will be married and are taking care of their own princess's. 

They watch you, my darling. 

They see the times you wipe away my tears and hold me when life just gets way too crazy. They see the dinners you make when I can't muster the strength to. They see you do the dishes because it gets too overwhelming for me. They see you forgive me when I say something I regret, when I just want to be left alone by the entire world. They see you love me. And they are taking notes. 

They are watching, and I don't want them to see us break. Break, like my parents did when I was too young to understand details, but I understood what tears and loud voices and bruises meant. I watched as my world unraveled, as my security and dreams were crushed by the two people who were supposed to define what "love" was. 

I pray every single day for wisdom in raising our boys, because I know how easy it is to forget they are watching. But they are. Let us keep remembering they watch every moment,  every kiss goodbye, every "i'm sorry," every tender smile, every tense moment...and they may not understand the details, but their hearts are listening. Their eyes, their hearts, are wide open, and they are watching.


By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:35

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
Romans 12:10


Comments

  1. Oh, how easy I forget they are watching! Sometimes I wish they weren't because things... are just messy. Wish I'd be better, so they could see the good things instead of the bad.

    Beautifully written friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Kassie. Very beautiful Marybeth. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
    2. I wish they weren't watching sometimes too...life gets way messy. Thanks for the comment Kass!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written and a great reminder. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed the reminder for myself! Thank you for the comment Renee :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts