Holy time {nap time}

I decided to type down a blog real quick, instead of sitting down with my most recent muse, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. That book is so hard to put down, people! It is the perfect combination of weird, mystery, and incredibly beautiful writing that has me hooked with every turn of the page. Ok, enough about that...on to nap time.

Nap time at my house is sacred.

Holy time, is what I like to call it.

I am so strict about nap time, because if my children did not nap, you would find my name under the patient's list in the nearest psychiatric ward. Not.even.kidding.

And living in an apartment has given me ample opportunity to refine my faithfulness to several of the 10 commandments. When you have people above you, who think it's time to tap dance or bowl in their living room or whatever it is that sounds like a bagillion elephants stomping around up there, right as you lay your cranky baby in his crib...you get to practice grace and patience on a whole new level.

So when Miah was a baby, we put a fan in his room to sorta drown out the stomping and screaming, and it worked. Now all three babies sleep with fans, and they have saved me you have no idea how many times with upstairs neighbors.

The inspiration for this blog came just minutes ago as I was putting my boys down for their afternoon naps. They are all three so different. It's kind of comical. Sometimes I get so stressed out when Trevor is home, because I drill him with a million questions if he is the one who put one of the boys down. I've got this down to a science, guys. You don't mess with Holy Time.

Judah sleeps in a pack and play, and every single day he has to gather up his little posse of "babies" to keep him company as he slumbers. There are at least 5 or 6 animals he waddles over and throws in, and then I rock him and kind of settle him down, and we talk about how he's going to take a really long nap today. He says ok with a sly grin on his lunch-smeared face. Then I lay him down and set all his animals around him, some in his arms, some by his head.

Miah suddenly and "surprisingly" has to go poop every day right before I lay him down, which adds at least 10 more minutes of awake time. Smarty pants. I know he saves it up for just that moment. Then we put a pull-up on and I tuck two blankets, always two, around him, and remind him not to talk. I also talk to him about how today he is going to take a really long nap. He grins.

Coco usually is up for about 30 more minutes, and we play and giggle and he gets his 4th poop of the day out (my life revolves around poop, I've accepted this). Then I go in and lay him down and GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE. If we make eye contact as I'm leaving, he giggles and won't sleep for probably 45 minutes. But if I make no eye contact and just bolt, he gets bored and falls asleep within 10 minutes.

So what do I do during Holy Time? Nothing substantial. It always surprises me that doing nothing can go by so quickly. I read. I blog. I pin. I eat chocolate. It's zone time for this mama. Whenever Trevor is home during nap time, I'm just at wits end. "No! Don't do that, it'll make noise! Oh my gosh you are going to wake them all up! I can't handle this!" Yeah. I might need a little help. But really, I would need more help if they didn't nap well.

So there you have it. My every single day nap time routine. Do your kids have a routine they follow every day before nap time? As a mama, what do you do when they nap?? I want to know!!

UPDATE:

Right after I hit "Publish," Coco woke up after sleeping for 20 minutes, and I can't get him back down. And also, I think I hear Judah crying. Will you come visit me and bring me chocolate in the psyche ward??

Comments

  1. Oh Marybeth - I can so relate to this. Nap time is definitely a sacred time when you have young kids. Mine are older now and not napping but getting foster kids down in the afternoon so I can spend sometime with Izzy is so important. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jenn! I don't know how you do it so well with a business at home and kids who don't nap. OH MY GOODNESS!

      Delete
    2. I don't know if I do it well but I'm managing. I do have one that's in school full time and that makes a HUGE difference. I still miss Izzy taking naps though - now it's iPad quiet times while I drink my afternoon coffee. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved this! I get it. I SO get it. The "posse of babies" made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me laugh every single day...it's a different set of "babies" every nap time, and he'll scream if he remembers one he suddenly wants. He is so funny!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this post! I don't mess around with nap time either. I got furious at the people who came (unannounced) and sprayed our apt. today. They knocked on the door SO loudly, and woke my 2.5 year old up WAY early from his nap. I think I'm going to start calling it "sacred time". I like that.
    When my son is napping, I'm usually also trying to get the baby to nap, or I'm blogging, on fb, pinning, sometimes reading, or doing something crafty while watching netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have a note taped right above my doorbell that says "Please knock quietly, the baby is sleeping." Everyone comments on how much they appreciate it. And they all knock so softly! It's amazing!

      Delete
  4. I baby sit, and both girls I watch are great about naps (2-3 hours every afternoon). The baby drives me in regards to naps! He will nap wonderfully in the morning, but only for 45 minutes in the afternoon. He is still tired, so he is cranky, but he will scream indefinitely until I take him out of bed. I was spoiled before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Jericho does the SAME exact thing!! Perfect naps in the morning, but the afternoon one is maybe 45min-hour, then he is soooo cranky till bedtime. So confusing!

      Delete
  5. Love this! Now that my older ones are getting bigger they aren't sleeping and boy, it's an adjustment for this mama to re-vamp my thinking for naptime ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not look forward to the day when mine stop napping...Yikes!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts