I'm gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket*

      When it comes to the material things in life, I'm definitely not picky about where they come from, or how much they cost. I love to surround myself with beauty, and it just makes sense that I would make my home beautiful, if I'm in it 90% of my life. But being on a limited budget makes creating a beautiful home...adventurous, to say the least. I want my home to be inviting and comfortable, but not feel like I have to spend a million bucks to do it. And you don't have to. All it takes is a little hard work and determination.
 
     Here's the thing. I'm not afraid to say I shop at thrift stores. I really don't know what some people's hang ups are about buying gently used goods for a fraction of the price. They associate thrift stores with the words "white trash" or "poor people." That makes me sad, and a little angry. Not only because of the labeling and roping off certain people as unworthy, but because it makes other people feel ashamed to shop at thrift stores. Same thing with Wal-Mart. Jesus would shop at Wal-Mart, and he would hug and love on every person walking down those aisles, no matter what they looked like. Or smelled like. Or what they were buying and what they were paying with when they look like they should be paying with something else.
 
     Get over it and just start loving people forgoodnesssake.

      I am so over the lie that you are what you own. That your worth comes from the decorations in your house. That your worth comes from how shiny your wheels are. Or how smart your phone is. Or what brand name is on your baby bags and shoes and children's clothes. I'm tired of feeling less than because my stuff isn't organic or new or matching. I say, screw that. My worth comes from Jesus Christ, and He could care less if 80% of my household is thrifted. I was bought by the blood of the Lamb, and that is priceless.
 
      I wish I could take you on a tour of my house, and point out everything that was either thrifted or bought at a garage sale, or, are you ready for this shocker- what I got by dumpster diving. I will go places some wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. If I see a set of end tables that are in perfect condition just sitting by a dumpster. HELLO. They are FREE. And just sitting there. Think I'm gross? I bet you could not even guess what items were dumpster won in my house if you walked through it, well, besides my end tables. Because I just told you about those.
 
     One in particular place I've come to love in my house, is my bedroom.
 
     Our bed was in terrible condition. It had mold in one of the bed frames, and one whole side of the mattress was covered in huge splinters {don't ask.} We were sleeping on it because we couldn't afford a new one, and really, if something is even a little salvageable, we're going to deal. Some people sleep on cement. Every single night. I could deal with my moldy and sliver-ridden King sized bed. But, now a few years later, we finally decided to get a new bed. FYI- I draw the line at beds when it comes to thrift shopping. I'll wear your panties, but I won't sleep on your bed. Gross.
 
     We actually got a {new} bed with a frame. And a {thrifted} bed skirt (fancy shmancy!) And I learned what a duvet was, and how useless it is. Just get a comforter. Why spend $100 on both? p.s. we got a Full bed. We went from a King, to a Full. I remind myself how some people are sleeping on cement, every single night, when I wake up at 2am and my husband's face is 1mm away and he's snoring into my mouth and I feel like I can't breathe because I have a 170lb rock of a man suffocating me. Then I kick him to move over. I'm a mean nighttime person. Anyone else a mean nighttime person? I'm sorry, husband!
 
     So, here's my pretty bed. Everything in this picture was thrifted or given to us, except the King sized comforter, which I bought brand new at Target years ago. And do you see those end tables? They actually match. Dumpster won! And for you clean freaks, I'm sorry I didn't iron my bed skirt.(I don't iron. Anything).
 
I flipped over the comforter in this picture. I think it looks way better! And I love how the vintage pillow cases give the room that extra pop of color and daintiness
 
 


      What do you think? I'm planning on sewing some pillows and putting up something on the walls...eventually.
 
     It's definitely not one of those bedrooms you will find in Better Homes and Gardens, but it makes me happy and I think it's gowjuss. And that's all that really matters.
 
     What are some simple ways you decorate your house on a budget?
 
Lyrics by Macklemore. Love that song. somuch.

Comments

  1. Love this. It feels like a holy place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! It's definitely where I go to get away and just be still.

      Delete
  2. I love thrif shopping. I am always looking for geat deals. i've gotten a lot of stuff from the thrif store, or even from the side of the road!!!!!!!!!! no shame in getting something for free ever! your lucky your side tables match. mine do not. one of them is even a pastic tub.... you do what you can with what you got..... :) I am also a mean night person, but i take over the bed and kick kevin out and we just up graded to a king and it still happens....... i guess i just wanna cuddle, then change my mind or something.......... anyway love reading like always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It's true, you do what you gotta do :)

      Thanks for the comment Tiff!!

      Delete
  3. I am all about a good deal. I love thrift stores and rummage sale season is my favorite! :) Pretty much all my friends shop the same way and there's no shame in that! Also, we have had a full size bed for all 6+ years of marriage but my dream bed is a king size. Most nights our 3 and 4 year old end up in bed with us and there have been nights I've been kicked to the couch because my husband takes over and there's NO waking him. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! My husband is so hard to wake as well! That's why I have to kick him over! Thanks for the comment Stephanie!!!

      Delete
  4. You can do a lot with so little. This is what I do with my clients. And the things you find at a thrift store are completely awesome.

    I am a new follower of your blog.

    I am hosting a Linky Blog Hop starting today about home organizing. April is Spring cleaning month and I want everyone to link up their home organization blog post. This will run throught out the whole month of April to give you time. Add yours now: http://bit.ly/XDWic2

    Have a great Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khloe! I'll definitely go check out that blog hop!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts