After deactivating my Facebook account



5 Minute Friday
Here’s how we do it:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt “After” with no editing, tweaking or self critiquing.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in {you can grab the button code in my blog’s footer}.
3. Go and tell the person who linked up before you what their words meant to you. Every writer longs to feel heard.







Go.
 
"Friends"
We had a speaker come to MOPS today and talk on Friendship. I feel terrible because I don't remember her name, but her message hit me hard. It's been something I have been chewing on since deactivating my Facebook account on Good Friday. After that step of faith, I've been struggling with a weird loneliness. You get so used to seeing everyone's statuses and keeping in touch on a daily basis, that once that is gone, there is this withdrawal period. It sounds so crazy, but if you think about it, it makes sense. I was getting my "friend fix" for the day by seeing who "liked" my pictures and statuses, and seeing what others were up to. And the speaker made the comment, "Jesus needs to be your BFF. He needs to be what you go to before ice cream, before Facebook, before the shopping mall. You get what you need from Him. And then you can be the kind of friend, and receive the kind of friendship, that God has intended for you." Yes. This. This is why I had to deactivate my Facebook account, why I've been trying to give up the things that stand in the way of God having all of me. Because He is jealous for me, and I have all these altars that I lay my time down at. And you know what? I haven't really missed Facebook, just my friends. And now I get to make the daily choice of how I am going to be a real life friend, and not just one via the internet.

Stop.

Comments

  1. I think it can be so hard to find and develop those real life friendships in spite of all of the advances in technology these days. Facebook connects us - it is so true. Heck, I've got friends I've never met on there. And I talk about them like I've known them my whole life. However, my real life friendships are few.

    Thank you for sharing your five minute friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. It was a very personal decision, and it can definitely be a very good tool to stay in touch with friends and family! Thank you for the comment!!!

      Delete
  2. This was spot on. FB has a way of isolating us even more and leading us down the roads of comparison, not enough ness, and jealousy. I admire your desire to respond to His whispers over the loudspeakers of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "over the loudspeakers of the world." Love that. How true it is, that it's becoming increasingly harder to hear His whispers over those speakers.

      Delete
  3. Ginny A! And I was going to blog a bit about this morning too, if I have time.

    Love you. Can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Thanks Nicole! I am thinking of doing the Sing n Sprout class- would you want to join with me? :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love your bold choice AND that you just DID it, not deliberating or talking yourself out of it. There truly ARE so many altars and I love that you have drawn a line in the sand. God is repay you for that sacrifice 100 times over.

    Your boys are so precious...what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Lisa! It's a daily battle to not turn back to that altar, but by the grace of God, I will overcome.



      Your kiddos are super precious as well! :) Thank you so much for the comment!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Popular Posts