18.11.13

The Thielke Life...an update

We've made the move to good ol' Brandon, South Dakota. Upon telling others where we were moving, I bet I heard "Oh their schools are fantastic!" in one form or another at least 12 times. As one who is contemplating homeschooling for the simple sake that I love to teach, I just smile politely and say, "So I've heard!"

We sure love it here. Brandon has so much more than our previous town. It has a library and several restaraunts. A booming local business atmosphere. And our favorite aspect- Trevor's work is only a block away from us. Today will be the first day he can come home for lunch! His commute used to be 30 minutes there, 30 minutes back, and now it's only 5 minutes walking.Last week he was gone for 3 days on a business trip, the day after we moved into our new place. That is never happening again. We survived, but just barely. I had no idea where anything was, we had no pots and pans, the boy's clothes were everywhere. It was just madness.
    

So now I'm on my first week where life is normal. I'm not watching anyone elses children, we're not packing and moving, we're settled. And I can sit here and type this and I just feel...at home. The boys did way better with the move than I anticipated. And I think it's because, you can change the setting, but if their "stuff and things" are the same and fill up it up like it did in the old house, it's still home. I can just picture my highschool English teacher wincing at the words stuff and things. "Never use the words 'stuff' or 'things.' Be more creative" she would write in huge red letters in the margins of my papers. Fantastic advice. 

Judah's birthday was yesterday! He turned the big 3. There is something so...big boy about 3. My favorite part of the whole day, was when we sang him "Happy Birthday" at Chuck E Cheese, and he joined in and sang to himself. And today, he woke up from nap and whispered, "Am I still 3?" Such a strange and heart-tugging mixture of baby and big boy.

He asked for fruit loops for breakfast and chicken nuggets for lunch. At this age, they are so easy to please. My Grandma would do the big sigh on our birthdays because we asked for things like homemade lasagna and handmade chicken and noodle soup. She loved it. :)

Baby #4 is still cookin'. I think I'm around 17 weeks, but I'm not sure. When I was pregnant with Jeremiah, I checked on his progress on Babycenter at least twice a day, and always knew which vegetable he resembled in size at any given time. I knew when I was 12 weeks 2 days, 20 weeks 5 days....and with the 4th, I sometimes forget I'm pregnant for a whole day. Not in ways it matters. I don't forget and start slamming shots or whatever. Not that I do that when I'm not pregnant. But I have eaten sushi. A lot. Rebel, this one.

I cut my hair! Oh ma goodness, I cut my hair OFF! Like, totally OFF. I went to a fabulous salon, and Tess was amazing. Before she even made the first cut, she said, "Are you ready?!" She was making it so fun. And she even informed me that my cut was really coming in. And then she started naming off famous people who had just gotten the cut, and I was just like, "Oh wow, cool!" and I had no idea who any of them were except Jennifer Lawrence, and that made me super happy because she's the best ever. And I didn't even know she had gotten the cut, but I went and found her afterwards, and hers is SUPER gorgeous on her. Everyone is saying, "I like long-haired Jennifer best." And I'm like, "She really doesn't care. You're opinion of her matters not at all." 

I love and hate my hair. Love it love it love it when I actually do my hair, hate it when I wake up in the morning and it's EVERYWHERE and those things called cowlicks that my Mom taught me about, they won't be tamed. They are wild cows on the hills of Ireland who had a little too much ale, and I just can't do anything with them. But really, I just feel more me in this cut. 

And Christmas has arrived at the Thielke house. This little village went up on November 13th, the 11 year anniversary of when my mommy passed away. I usually put up a tree, but we are going through the process of determining how our family wants to celebrate Christmas, and we won't be having a tree this year. But that's not the point. My Grandma, who I lived with for over 10 years after we were taken from my home at a young age, she passed away about 7 months ago. She loved putting up her little Christmas village, and I vowed I would have one when I grew up. Well, it seems as if I have grown up. I am so in love with my very first Christmas village. I bought it at Goodwill, perfect condition, for $5!

 I really love it. I think part of what celebrating Christmas means, is family, fellowship, community, love, and there's nothing like a Christmas village to reflect and embody all of that.
And of course you need some protection in the village.

That's quite an update. If you made it this far, I thank you for being interested in how my little family is faring. 

How has life been for you? Anything you need prayer about? Really, I'm serious. I will pray for you. Hit me with your best shot.

13 comments:

  1. Love the update :) I love, love the way you write MB... and I especially loved the part about your Grandmas village.. I remember it :) I miss her.. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sha...I'm so glad you got to witness the amazingness of her Christmas village. I miss her SO much! Love you

      Delete
  2. I really love your hair. Looks so great on you. I just cannot do short hair. James wants me to grow it out to my butt… ha ha =) I cannot believe are boys are growing so quickly! Braden turns three on Sunday and it makes me so happy to see him growing, but so sad too! Happy to read this update friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kassie! I was SO nervous to get it cut. I almost backed out many times, but I just needed a change. I am so excited for Braden turning 3! Doesn't it seem like yesterday we were both having these babies, and now they are such big boys?! Ugh! Slow down time!
      <3

      Delete
  3. I think you're great...and stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are greater...and stuff. hehe. xo

      Delete
  4. Loved your post, Marybeth! Your hair looks beautiful! Hope you all enjoy your new home. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! We are enjoying it so very much! xo

      Delete
  5. Marybeth, I just read this at work and my co-workers keep looking at me funny because I keep laughing! Your family makes me so happy! Especially that part about how you're not doing shots! ;) Your boys are getting so big and they seem to get cuter everyday! I loved this update! Thanks for letting us hear about your lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm so glad I can be the reason your co-workers look at you funny! :D Thanks for reading and commenting Kristen!

      Delete
  6. I love this. I love your hair and the little village. You're a great writer and the idea of pictures with the story is more fabulous than any hair salon that cuts famous actors hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathaniel. :) miss you friend

      Delete
  7. "Such a strange and heart-tugging mixture of baby and big boy." Ummm yes!!!! And .... "They are wild cows on the hills of Ireland who had a little too much ale.." c-r-a-c-k-e-d me UP! Your hair make you even more STUNNING!!!! You coolest mommy ever! Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Would you please take the time to tell me your thoughts on my post? Each comment blesses me so much, and I thank you for taking your time to write a little somethin' Be blessed!