Mb's Elderberry Syrup

I have been making Elderberry Syrup for several years now, and I am so convinced of the health benefits, I am going to write a blog post on it! I will make it short and sweet, since I always skip all the writing on people's how-to blogs and recipes, and go straight for the good stuff! And guess what? Elderberry tea even made it's way into a Walking Dead episode. So that was fun.

I get my elderberries from my local Pomegranate Market here in Sioux Falls. I have also heard that Mountain Rose Herbs is a very good resource as well!  And as always, Amazon has them as well.

I also get my raw honey from my local market and it's the best honey I can find in my town!!!



Mb's Elderberry Syrup

1 cheesecloth
1 glass jar with lid
kitchen funnel

4 cups pure water
1 cup dried elderberries
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
a dash of ground ginger
a dash of ground turmeric
1 cup raw local honey


Add all of the ingredients BUT the honey into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off the heat and mash berries with a spoon or a potato masher. I usually let it cool off a bit before handling it- which is a duh but you never know.

Once mashed and cooled slightly, I begin the very process of straining it and transferring it to the glass jar. Your hands are going to be stained purple, unless you are responsible and use gloves. I don't use gloves for anything. So my hands are a lovely shade of purple for a few days, but it's a great conversation starter!

I take my cheesecloth and put it over the funnel, which is over the glass jar, and slowly pour the elderberries and water into the cheesecloth. Once I have a good amount in there, I stop and squeeze the elderberries so I get all of the juicy goodness out of them. Continue doing that until all your elderberries are sucked dry. I usually strain it one more time; quite a few berries seem to sneak through the cheesecloth.

Once done with that, you add 1 cup of honey to the jar, and stir stir stir! Then put a lid on it, and put it in the fridge. This syrup seems to last us only a few weeks, not because it goes bad, but because we go through that much that quickly! With this recipe, I usually get about 16 oz, which I keep in a large mason jar topped with a green Parmesan cheese lid. So fancy, I know.

Adults take 1 Tablespoon every 30 minutes until symptoms go away.

Children take 1 Teaspoon every hour.

And you can also take while have no symptoms, to help keep your immune system up and ready!

I should probably mention that the stems, leaves, seeds, and bark are considered extremely poisonous. They have a form of cyanide in them. And if you eat the berries while they are still green, that isn't very good either. But I would only really be worried about that if you have elderberry bushes on your property. My dried elderberries come without stems or bark. And honestly, I think it's extremely amazing that God created a plant that has such incredible healing powers, and the rest of it is so poisonous. Funny guy...God, He is.

I've had a few people also ask me about pregnant women and infants taking this, and honestly it's a very controversial topic. I know of quite a few women who have taken it while pregnant, and they and the baby are very healthy. But the research I have done leads me to conclude that you should just ask a midwife or herbalist in your area to be safe. And I would not recommend you giving it to babies under 12 months of age, since there is so much honey in it.
To help keep your family safe this season, make this elderberry syrup, cut back on processed sugar, make some homemade bone broth, and up your intake of fresh berries, onions, and garlic! Also, always make sure to drink lots of purified water! Love you guys!







Comments

Popular Posts